Yesterday I started reading For the Win by Cory Doctorow and am currently downloading World of Warcraft – yes, it’s true. As total n00b, I am a bit intimidated, but I know that I am in good hands. I am doing all of this as part of a book club – the #Metagame Book Club+. I learned about this group through the ISTE Virtual Environments Network and as a non-gamer who teaches gamers, I look forward to learning from these dedicated educators, researchers, and gamers about how to better understand the gaming world.
For now, I’m just trying to take it all in and I have so many questions:
- How many hours do people typically spend playing these games?
- What are the most popular games?
- What are the most welcoming gaming communities?
- How do these communities reflect “real life”?
- Why do they stop playing?
…and so many more.
I will continue to document my experience here.